Kale Chips Credits: Inspiration from Sarah at Pacific NW Kale Chips. I use Gabriel Cousens’ idea of the five flavors for satisfying the palate in raw food recipes.
2 1/2 – 3 gallons of well-washed kale, stems removed and finely cut separately. Can include other mild and tender brassica greens.
1. 3/4 cup brown sesame seeds, soaked 8 hours, drained, rinsed and allowed to barely sprout (with more rinsing) 24 hours at 64°F, 8 hours at 75° F, or 2 hours at 100° F. You should have about 1 1/2 cups soaked and barely sprouted sesame seeds.
2. 1 1/2 cups sunflower seeds, soaked 6 hours, drained, rinsed. Yields 3 cups.
3. 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar or fresh lemon juice, or more to taste
4. 3/4 cup golden flax seeds, soaked in 2 cups water.
5. 1 orange, peeled, seeded.
7. 1 cup nutritional yeast
8. 1 1/2 inches fresh ginger root
9. 1/4 cup cold pressed olive oil
10. enough water to keep your Vita-Mix from overheating while it grinds up and blends the sesame, sunflower and flax seeds
11. About 2-4 teaspoons Real Salt, or to taste.
12. 1/2 tsp celery seed
13. 1-2 T. dried or fresh rosemary
14. (completely optional) 3/4 cup dulse flakes
Blend the sesame seeds, 1 1/2 cups of the sunflower seeds, the orange, the rosemary, celery seed, and the ginger root with enough water to keep your Vita-Mix from overheating. Blend very well until smooth and creamy. Add the rest of the ingredients, and blend well with more water if necessary. Pour over greens in a large bowl (I did it in 3 batches), toss until greens are well coated. (There may be some leftover sauce left. Use as salad dressing or put them on the finely chopped stems for a separate section of the dehydrator.)
Let the sauced-up greens rest and absorb the flavors. Taste and see if you need to add more salt, lemon/vinegar or olive oil. Toss in the rest of the sunflower seeds. Spread on sheets and dehydrate at 113°. After a few hours, remove the crunchiest ones from the top, and separate the remaining greens so they dehydrate well. Store in a tightly sealed container. Share with friends.